Designing an Intranet
An intranet will allow your organisation to publish and share information to staff in a user friendly and device independent basis. Via (secure) internet access, staff can utilise the resource at the time and place of their convenience. Off-site and home working can therefore be facilitated.
A number of features can be put in place to empower staff and improve communication:
- On-line forms to submit expenses, holiday requests, time sheets, requisition forms etc.
- An electronic notice board for sports and social events
- A method to publish policies and procedures, for example relating to health and safety, recruitment, staff grievances
- Internal news
- The Staff Handbook
- Organisation charts and staff contacts details
- Internal job advertisements
- A place to file useful documents, web links and contacts that might otherwise be hoarded on the C: drive
- An organisational resource for cataloguing business contacts (customers, prospects, suppliers, partners, influencers, competitors, gurus etc.) if no other system exists
- An organisational resource for managing projects if no other system exists
- A skills register to locate colleagues or partners based upon their knowledge and experience
- A forum to improve collaboration and innovation via discussion and the capture of tacit knowledge (ideas, experiences, anecdotes, clues, opinions etc.)
Please also see our complementary information resource, The Document Site
The page Managing Knowledge and the Sins of the C: drive was added to your clippings file for future reference. You can access your clippings files using the icon at the top of the screen.
Select a statement that you feel applies to you:
How can I manage intranet content?
How to use the online consultant
Clicking on the appropriate statement will lead to our advice; further statements may also in turn be provided, offering more specific or detailed advice. Upon occasion an item from the article library may be added to your clippings file (please click on the 'show clippings' icon next to the search box).